[openib-general] Failed multicast join withnew multicast module

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Jun 9 13:53:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:35, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > The other issue is whether you trust the state of the network or not
> > when the SM comes up. That's sometimes a dangerous proposition.
>
> I considered this, but I think there's a difference between trusting one of the
> systems on the network, versus the network as a whole.  For example, as long as
> the MCMember records from the end nodes mesh with MulticastForwarding tables on
> the switches, then we may be okay.

What does mesh mean in this instance ? How do you know the multicast
routing tables are indeed valid and that the SM didn't corrupt them ?
(Why did the SM need restarting ?)

> Also, the MCMember records carry both the MGID and MLID, so what more would you
> need?

The MLID is supplied by the SA in response to a group request from the
end node, not the other way around. The end node doesn't tell the SA
what MLID to use for a group.

-- Hal