[openib-general] max_send_sge < max_sge

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jun 27 14:28:51 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Pete Wyckoff <pw at osc.edu>:
> It would not be a major problem to avoid using more than a couple of
> SGEs; however, I didn't see any reason to avoid them.  Please let me
> know if you see a problem with this approach.

A QP with a large number of SGEs per WQE enabled uses up more resources and
might also be slower if typical WR has a small number of SGEs.  So you should
anticipate the typical number of SGEs for best performance.

As I mentioned previously, even if you do want a large number of SGEs, but you
want your application to be robust and scalable, you should scale your
parameters down if QP allocation fails since device query does not guarantee the
allocation will always succeed.

--
MST