[openib-general] max_send_sge < max_sge

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Wed Jun 28 05:36:51 PDT 2006

Yep, you're confirming my comment that the sge size is dependent
on the memory registration strategy (and not the protocol itself).
Because you have a pool approach, you potentially have a lot of
discontiguous regions. Therefore, you need more sge's. (You could
have the same issue with large preregistrations, etc.)

If it's just for RDMA Write, the penalty really isn't that high - you can
easily break the i/o up into separate RDMA Write ops and pump them
out in a sequence. The HCA streams them, and using unsignalled
completion on the WRs means the host overhead can be low.

For sends, it's more painful. You have to "pull them up". Do you really
need send inlines to be that big? I guess if you're supporting a writev()
api over inline you don't have much control, but even writev has a
maxiov.

The approach the NFS/RDMA client takes is basically to have a pool
of dedicated buffers for headers, with a certain amount of space for
"small" sends. This maximum inline size is typically 1K or maybe 4K
(it's configurable), and it copies send data into them if it fits. All
other operations are posted as "chunks", which are explicit protocol
objects corresponding to { mr, offset, length } triplets. The protocol
supports an arbitrary number of them, but typically 8 is plenty. Each
chunk results in an RDMA op from the server. If the server is coded
well, the RDMA streams beautifully and there is no bandwidth issue.

Just some ideas. I feel your pain.

Tom.