[openib-general] question related to rdma_bind_addr

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Mar 23 16:25:57 PST 2006

>What does it mean to bind to a remote address? What functionality
>would that enable? Spoofing?

I think that Or is just exploring the idea of synchronously binding to a local
*device* based on a remote address.  This would allow an application to bind,
then allocate PDs, CQs, QPs, etc. up front, rather than deferring resource
allocation until address resolution completes.  A ULP may be able to take
advantage of this, but I can't personally say that I know what benefit it would
provide.  (Maybe avoid the need to keep track of everything that must be
allocated once address resolution completes?)

>When I think of bind(2), I only think of binding to local addresses.

Yes - this is what rdma_bind_addr(src_addr) does.  But I can envision adding a
new call, rdma_bind_device(dst_addr), provided some use for it can be found.