[openib-general] question related to rdma_bind_addr

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Fri Mar 24 07:58:56 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Sean Hefty wrote:

> >What does it mean to bind to a remote address? What functionality
> >would that enable? Spoofing?
>
> I think that Or is just exploring the idea of synchronously binding
> to a local *device* based on a remote address.
>
> This would allow an application to bind, then allocate PDs, CQs,
> QPs, etc. up front, rather than deferring resource allocation until
> address resolution completes.  A ULP may be able to take advantage
> of this, but I can't personally say that I know what benefit it
> would provide.  (Maybe avoid the need to keep track of everything
> that must be allocated once address resolution completes?)
>
> >When I think of bind(2), I only think of binding to local
> >addresses.
>
> Yes - this is what rdma_bind_addr(src_addr) does.  But I can
> envision adding a new call, rdma_bind_device(dst_addr), provided
> some use for it can be found.

I would find calling it rdma_bind_device() confusing.

Could you modify the behavior of rdma_resolve_addr() to set the cma
id's device field before returning? If so, that would be better than
adding a new function.

In any event, I don't find the functionality very interesting. If the
address resolved properly, it would speed up setup time (of course
setup is not generally a bottleneck). In the error case (which is when
address resolution would take a long time) things aren't any faster.
Also consumers would still need to handle an asynchronous event.