[openib-general] question related to rdma_bind_addr

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Sat Mar 25 23:59:49 PST 2006

James Lentini wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Sean Hefty wrote:
>> I think that Or is just exploring the idea of synchronously binding
>> to a local *device* based on a remote address.
>> This would allow an application to bind, then allocate PDs, CQs,
>> QPs, etc. up front, rather than deferring resource allocation until
>> address resolution completes.

exactly.

>> Yes - this is what rdma_bind_addr(src_addr) does.  But I can
>> envision adding a new call, rdma_bind_device(dst_addr), provided
>> some use for it can be found.

Indeed, but hold your horses, i told you i was just seeking to resolve
if possible impl is possible, no real need yet...

> I would find calling it rdma_bind_device() confusing.

why? I find it very much unconfusing

> In any event, I don't find the functionality very interesting.

Hey, as i mentioned earlier in this thread, the interest came from a
***possible*** enhancement to the open iscsi initiator design, now being
discussed, with which a transport (TCP/iSER/iSCSI offload HW/etc) is
asked to create its connection resources synchronously, , not sure what
is your interest in that.

Or.