[openib-general] .toc is not generated for indexing service module

Heiko J Schick schihei at de.ibm.com
Mon Mar 27 03:39:26 PST 2006

Hello Sean,

it seems that the "indexing service" module (index.c) doesn't call any
external functions. In that case, the .toc will not be generated on PPC64
and the file linux/arch/powerpc/kernel/module_64.c will not load the module,
because of a missing .toc entry in the ELF section. You can see it in the
following output:

# insmod findex.ko
insmod: error inserting 'findex.ko': -1 Invalid module format

# dmesg
[244975.787887] findex: doesn't contain .toc or .stubs.

As first workaround I would propose to include printk() to the function
index_start. We will have then an external function call and the .toc will
be generated so that the module could be loaded on PPC64.

static int __init index_start(void)
{
         printk(KERN_INFO "Indexing service\n");

         return 0;