[openib-general] re RDS missing features

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed May 3 09:50:11 PDT 2006

At 10:42 AM 5/1/2006, Ranjit Pandit wrote:
>On 5/1/06, Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz at voltaire.com> wrote:
>>Can you elaborate on each of the features, specifically the following
>>points are of interest to us:
>>
>>+1 so you running Oracle Loopback traffic over RDS sockets? if yes, what
>>the issue here?
>>the openib CMA supports listen/connect on loopback addresses (eg
>>127.0.0.1 or IPoIB local address)
>
>Yes.
>There is no issue. It's just next in line for me to implement.
>

>>+2 by failover, are you referring to APM? that is failover between IB
>>pathes to/from the same HCA
>>over which the original connection/QP was established or you are talking
>>on failover between HCAs
>
>Failover within and across HCAs. APM does not work for failover across HCAs.

That is because it is two different types of fail over being
discussed.  APM is completely transparent to the IB RC connections thus
there is no disruption or loss of data.  Fail over across HCA is in effect
replaying ULP transactions across a new RC connection.  Without an
application / ULP level acknowledgement, there is still a hole in the RDS
proposal that has been raised and acknowledged in the past as existing as
recently as the Sonoma get together.

I still have not seen a response to my inquiry about the this ULP and API
changes being at least comprehended beyond the Oracle usage model and
perhaps being reviewed within the IETF given it represents changes in API
and communication semantics.  If the goal is to have RDS be a generic
service then it should be reviewed and validated by other potential
consumers as well as those subsystems that may be impacted.

Mike