[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Tue May 9 12:41:30 PDT 2006

Grant Grundler <iod00d at hp.com> wrote on 05/09/2006 12:05:38 PM:

> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:36:45AM -0700, Shirley Ma wrote:
> > What throughput did you get on two CPUs?
>
> With one CPU, I get ~2.5-2.8 Gb/s. With two CPUs: 3.5-3.6 Gb/s.
> The last SVN version I tested was 2.6.15 + r4929 (several monthes ago).

I got 3.5-3.66Gb/s on UP with splitting CQ + threads supports on send/recv

CQ polling, and didn't get any better on SMP.

> To be clear, "one CPU" means the netperf process is bound to the same
> CPU as the one handling mthca interrupts with taskset. Ditto for
netserver
> on the other system. "Two CPU" means bind netperf/netserver processes
> to a different CPU that is NOT handling the mthca interrupt.

I tried interrupts affinity on mthca, it didn't work by changing
/proc/irq/XXX/smp_affinity. The interrupts distruction kept bouncing
between
there two CPUs.

What did you do to handle mthca interrupt on a fixed cpu?

> Also note that the "Service Demand" (CPU us/KB) goes up by
> 10-20% also. So we really only want to do this when the CPU
> handling interrupts is saturated and we know the other CPU
> is available.
> grant

Thanks
Shirley Ma