[openib-general] Quick RDMA Write with Immediate Data Item question

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Sun May 14 01:43:07 PDT 2006

Hi.

On Saturday 13 May 2006 01:24, Steven Wooding wrote:

> This leads me to another question I had about memory protection for RDMA
> writes. What's the best way to stop the sender accidentally writing a larger
> message than they should of, if I didn't want to use a different rkey for
> each message (as setting up rkeys is expensive and too inflexible for my
> application).
>
> Any thoughts?

If you create one large MR (and have only one rkey) you cannot give this key  to a remote side and
prevent him from writing to all of the MR, so maybe you should consider holding several MRs.

In the IB spec there is a mechanism  that should help you managing remote access in more flexible way,
this mechanism called Memory Window, but the gen2 driver doesn't support MW (yet?).

Dotan