[openib-general] [discuss] Re: 2.6.19-rc4: known unfixed regressions (v3)

Andi Kleen ak at suse.de
Thu Nov 9 22:52:54 PST 2006

> So we should have the infrastructure to only use mmconfig for some set
> of busses.  If that interface is well described we can probably
> bootstrap sanely, only enabling what we know exists and like wise
> only reserving what we know is used.

Unfortunately there is a chicken and egg problem on those few broken
systems (like some x86 Macs) where only mcfg works. Without mcfg you
won't be able to probe the bus. Ok you could trust ACPI when it says
it's there, but I'm not sure Linus would like that.

Still perhaps I guess only reserving when the bus is probed is probably
a good idea. In most cases we only probe a small number of busses
because ACPI tells us the number.

This basically means pci_mcfg_init() should be split up.

-Andi