[openib-general] ANNOUNCE: libibverbs and libmthca moving to git

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed Nov 15 15:32:37 PST 2006

I've converted the libibverbs and libmthca svn history into git (with
some minor cleanups, mostly improving the changelog entries).  I've
also created git tags for all of the releases noted in the history.
The git trees

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libibverbs.git
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libmthca.git

should now be considered the authoritative sources for libibverbs and
libmthca, and I will not be updating the svn trees.

Should this cause major problems, I am prepared to abandon the
experiment and go back to svn, but I am optimistic that we will be
able to take advantage of the major improvements that git offers.

The following commands will download copies of the repositories into
the local directories libibverbs and libmthca, respectively:

    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libibverbs.git
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libmthca.git

Amusingly, although this fetches a complete clone of the repository
with the the full development histories (including both 1.0 and 1.1
branches for libibverbs), the git trees use less disk space than an
equivalent svn checkout of just the tip of the tree.

As I said above, the libibverbs repository has both the unstable
development branch (named "master") and the stable 1.0 branch (named
"stable").  From your libibverbs directory,

    gitk --all

will visualize the full history of all branches.

    git checkout stable

will switch to the stable (1.0) branch, and

    git checkout master

will switch back to the unstable branch.

To update your repository with new upstream changes, just do

    git pull

from the repository.