[openib-general] Question about multicast GIDs

Robert Walsh rjwalsh at pathscale.com
Thu Nov 16 11:11:43 PST 2006

Robert Walsh wrote:
> Roland Dreier wrote:
>>  > Is there are registration authority for multicast GIDs?  Or at
>> least a  > safe way of assigning a range of GIDs to a vendor?
>>
>> I don't think so.  Perhaps RFC 3307 would be of some use...
>
> Ah - looks exactly like what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Hmm - spoke too soon.  This seems to be related to IPv6 multicast GIDs,
but not IB.  The idea is similar, but the allocation mechanism is
entirely arbitrary (but consistent) and I don't think it would map from
IPv6 to IB in any meaningful way.

I'll talk to the folks here who are on the various IB committees and see
if they have any thoughts on this.

Regards,
  Robert.