[openib-general] git stuff

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Nov 28 07:35:32 PST 2006

> >BTW, one of the things to do if someone wants local sa cache included in some
> >distro would be to discuss, on the list, why is it generally useful: its not
> >just another ULP that you can safely include whatever its review status is.
>
> We already had some discussion of this in Tampa. Local SA caching is very
> valuable for applications that use the rdma_cm. We already discussed and agreed
> to include it as one of the new features for OFED 1.2.  We have already seen
> that it provides benefits for scaling connection establishment using Intel MPI,
> which uses DAPL and rdma_cm.  Once other MPI's decide to move their
> connection establishment model to use rdma_cm rather than the hack they are
> currently using, they will also need this feature for scalability.  If more
> discussion is needed, we can certainly have it.

I guess having discussion in the open would certainly help.

FWIW, things that IMO weren't fully addressed the last time this was discussed
and might be interesting to re-evaluate
- what problem does the cache solve
- what's the invalidation policy
- how does it interact with complex SA queries and smart SA's

There might be others.

--
MST