[openib-general] Tools for development

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Oct 18 06:26:29 PDT 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>> Developers had requested git 1.4, but Ubuntu had an older
>> version.  We
>> went ahead and installed git from source.  I'd prefer to stick to
>> Ubuntu
>> packages if possible.
>
> We have much to gain from newer versions - just look at gitweb
> change log.
> But my assumption here was that someone will keep the built from
> source
> tools updated. I don't have a problem alerting the list when new
> versions come out.
>
> If, as Roland suggested, we'll be stuck at this version, its better
> to stick with distro-supplied ones, assuming that *that* is updated
> in a timely fashion.
>
> So, I guess the question is how is the sytsem supported/updated?

This is probably quite the operative question.  I volunteered to
setup and maintain trac if the group decides to use it.

I don't know what the plan is for supporting the other software
packages.  I too, would side with Michael that the relatively-recent
versions of svn (although this may become moot) and trac tend to be
beneficial to developers (I assume the same is true for git, but I
have no direct experience).

Does anyone have any sysadmin cycles to do this kind of stuff?  I
would expect it to be a flurry of activity here in the beginning
followed by short bursts of activity separated by long periods of
nothing.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit