[openib-general] creating releases for the libraries you own

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Oct 29 12:12:08 PST 2006

Quoting r. Matt Leininger <mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov>:
> Subject: Re: creating releases for the libraries you own
>
> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 12:52 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> > Roland Dreier wrote:
> > >  > I want to suggest that you will create releases to the libraries you own
> > >
> > > To make this simpler, is there any way we can give maintainers the
> > > ability to put library releases somewhere on the new server so that
> > > they show up on the downloads page automatically?  Right now it is
> > > somewhat cumbersome to create library releases, since the poor
> > > sysadmins have to manually add tarballs to the downloads page.
> > >
> > >  - R.
> > >
> > Hi Matt,
> > I think Roland's suggestion is very good.
> > Since Hal and Sean also agreed to create a release of their libraries it
> > can serve all.
> >
>   I agree with Roland.  Sandia will not be running the webpages or wiki
> on the new server.  I think the market folks will run the webpages and
> the developers can run the wiki.

This becomes a problem when we want to e.g. upload a release
or some document.  Developers need a way to put stuff on the web too.

How about allowing web server serve static pages from
/pub/html and ~<user>/html? Then anyone with an account
can easily upload files by scp, and post a link.

> Any preferences for what wiki to use?
> Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) was one suggestion.

For documentation, I'd like very much to have wiki that supports WYSIWYG
editing.  openib wiki is not WYSIWYG and I find it very painful, trac has this
liitation too. There are lots of wikis that support WYSIWYG, e.g. MoinMoin is
written in Python and is I think popular:
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinFeatures

Please consider this feature: we won't get quality documentation in wiki
unless writing it is easy.

I just run the WYSIWYG requrirement through wikimatrix and got:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/wizard.php?d%5Bpl%5D%5B%5D=&d%5Bfoss%5D=free&d%5Bstorage%5D=&d%5Bflag%5D=1&d%5Bwysiwyg%5D=yes&d%5Bhistory%5D=&d%5Bgo%5D=1

"Installable software with WYSIWYG editing and is Free and Open Source.
The following 20 Wikis match your criteria:
Corendal Wiki, Giki, IkeWiki, JSPWiki, KeheiWiki, MediaWiki, Midgard Wiki,
MoinMoin, MoniWiki, Oddmuse, Perspective, PhpWiki, PmWiki, PukiWiki, SnipSnap,
TiddlyWiki, TWiki, WackoWiki, XWiki and Zwiki"

--
MST