[openib-general] creating releases for the libraries you own

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Oct 30 08:20:28 PST 2006

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: creating releases for the libraries you own
>
>  > How about allowing web server serve static pages from
>  > /pub/html and ~<user>/html? Then anyone with an account
>  > can easily upload files by scp, and post a link.
>
> I think that solves the wrong part of the problem.

This depends I guess.
Mainly, the idea was to avoid the need to put binaries under svn
as we were forced to with the old server.

> It's trivial for me to find places to host stuff.

As a user, I feel more confident that I'm getting the right package
if it comes from the right URL.

> The issue is having a place for "official" releases that can be updated
> directly by the developers making releases -- in particular, I would like to
> have release links show up on http://openfabrics.org/downloads automatically.

I guess release links are also important.
But I want mirroring etc to work which requires that uploaded packages
are organized in some sane hierarchy.

I guess what I want is a directory per package where I can go and
see the latest release packages kind of like
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/

> One way to handle this would be to point the downloads page to a wiki
> page and have developers edit it as the make releases.

Right, but consider that longterm we will need to add checksums
and possibly sign packages, etc. Doing all this manually
through wiki just to publish an RC will be a hassle, and error prone.

--
MST