[openib-general] patch trouble

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Sep 18 11:21:23 PDT 2006

    Bryan> I am using Gentoo (www.gentoo.org).  I am actually writing
    Bryan> the ebuild (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebuild) scripts
    Bryan> for adding openib to the gentoo science overlay
    Bryan> (http://svn.cryos.net/projects/gentoo-sci-overlay)

Cool, glad to hear it.

    Bryan> Downloading the entire 47 Meg files to build openib is
    Bryan> prohibitive.  Especially if all one wants to do is build,
    Bryan> say, libibverbs, libmthca, and the performance tools.  That
    Bryan> is why I am downloading the userspace code from svn.  If
    Bryan> there was a single downloadable openib.tgz file, I could
    Bryan> build the kernel modules as well as the userspace tools
    Bryan> from that.  In the meantime, I'd like to continue getting
    Bryan> userspace code from svn.

For libibverbs and libmthca at least, I am careful to keep the
releases on http://openib.org/downloads/ up to date.  For example, you
can find

    http://openib.org/downloads/libibverbs-1.0.3.tar.gz
    http://openib.org/downloads/libmthca-1.0.2.tar.gz

there, which are the latest stable releases as of now.

None of the other package maintainers seems to have gotten serious
about publishing releases of their packages -- and I agree with you
that just relying on OFED leaves a serious gap.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I seem to be the only openib person who
really cares about distro inclusion of stuff, but I'm happy to do
things that make your job as a packager easier, at least for my
userspace packages (libibverbs and libmthca).  Just let me know.  I've
already gotten those packages into mainline Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora
Extras repositories, and I'd be happy to see them in Gentoo as well.

 - R.