[openib-general] patch trouble

Bryan Green bgreen at nas.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 18 11:07:32 PDT 2006

"Michael S. Tsirkin" writes:
> Quoting r. Bryan Green <bgreen at nas.nasa.gov>:
> > Is there a great discrepancy between the git repository and the svn
> > repository?  If I am downloading the kernel modules from subversion, should I
> > still use the patchset from the git repository?
>
> *Please* do not use svn trunk code for production.
> You want either kernel.org code or the OFED git repository for everything.
> kernel code in subversion is being deprecated.

Okay, thanks.  Thats good to know.  What about the userspace code in the
1.0/1.1 svn branch?  Is that userspace code equivalent to what's in the
OFED distribution?  I can forego using kernel code from subversion, but
it is convenient for the userspace stuff (as explained below).

> > There is currently only a source tarball
> > for libibverbs, while ofed is too RPM-centric.
>
> Not really. Please try the following:
>
> Get the ofed tarball here
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/releases/
> and unpack it.
> Take this file: SOURCES/openib-1.1.tgz
> That's all of subversion + git all nicely packed up.

The problem with that tar file is that it contains far more than the
'.tgz' file.  It also contains some large source rpms.  The whole thing is
47 Megs, of which only about 12 Megs is of interest to me.

> Let me know how it goes. BTW, which distro are you using?

I am using Gentoo (www.gentoo.org).  I am actually writing the ebuild
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebuild) scripts for adding openib to the
gentoo science overlay (http://svn.cryos.net/projects/gentoo-sci-overlay)

The key feature of Gentoo package management is that packages are
downloaded, built, and installed from source, all in an automated fashion.

Downloading the entire 47 Meg files to build openib is prohibitive.
Especially if all one wants to do is build, say, libibverbs, libmthca, and
the performance tools.  That is why I am downloading the userspace code
from svn.  If there was a single downloadable openib.tgz file, I could
build the kernel modules as well as the userspace tools from that.
In the meantime, I'd like to continue getting userspace code from svn.

As for the kernel modules, I will stick with whats in the kernel for now,
though I look forward to SDP being added to the main line, as I'm getting
some rather nice performance from it.

-bryan