[openib-general] DAPL setup/config help

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Tue Sep 26 15:15:58 PDT 2006

Troy Telford wrote:

>I've never set up dapl before, however I now have a reason to try...
>
>The problem is, I can't seem to find any documentation on how to set it
>up.  I've tried the sample /etc/dat.conf (modified for the IPoIB address
>on the system), but I'm not sure I've been sucessful.
>
>I've:
>* compiled from OFED 1.0
>* verified the library paths listed in /etc/dat.conf are correct
>* I do know that things like IP over IB, MVAPICH, Open MPI, etc. work
>fine; but they're not using DAPL
>* tried the 'dapltest' and 'dtest' programs.
>
>In both cases, I receive an error to the extent of:
>DAT_PROVIDER_NOT_FOUND DAT_NAME_NOT_REGISTERED

The dapl provider name that your application uses for the open must
match the ia_name entry in dat.conf.

sample dat.conf:

# Each entry should have the following fields:
#
# <ia_name> <api_version> <threadsafety> <default> <lib_path> \
#           <provider_version> <ia_params> <platform_params>
OpenIB-cma u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib/libdaplcma.so mv_dapl.1.2
"ib0 0" ""

The dtest makefile with OFED 1.0 should use OpenIB-cma as the provider
name instead of OpenIB-cma-ip. The default configuration was fixed in
OFED 1.1.

For dapltest you must pass this dat.conf name as an argument to all
scripts. For example "./srv.sh OpenIB-cma"

-arlin