[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Sep 28 10:59:12 PDT 2006

    Matt>   I'd add one more thing.  To make the OFED release process
    Matt> go more smoothly I'd like to see the maintainers for each
    Matt> stack component spin out releases from time to time.  Roland
    Matt> has been doing this with libmthca and libibverbs.  If we had
    Matt> the development releases for other kernel and all user space
    Matt> components then OFED could simple combine the latest
    Matt> development releases and start more through testing.

Yes, I strongly support that, although the OFED benefits are just a
side effect to me.  The real reason to have these releases is to
support distributions other than OFED -- for example having tarball
releases of all the components makes it possible to get this stuff
further upstream into real Linux distros.

eg I have gotten libibverbs/libmthca into Fedora Extras and
Debian/Ubuntu, so users of those distros can install them natively
using standard distro tools.

 - R.