[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Thu Sep 28 12:22:30 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:59 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Matt>   I'd add one more thing.  To make the OFED release process
>     Matt> go more smoothly I'd like to see the maintainers for each
>     Matt> stack component spin out releases from time to time.  Roland
>     Matt> has been doing this with libmthca and libibverbs.  If we had
>     Matt> the development releases for other kernel and all user space
>     Matt> components then OFED could simple combine the latest
>     Matt> development releases and start more through testing.
>
> Yes, I strongly support that, although the OFED benefits are just a
> side effect to me.  The real reason to have these releases is to
> support distributions other than OFED -- for example having tarball
> releases of all the components makes it possible to get this stuff
> further upstream into real Linux distros.

  RedHat and SuSE have stated several times that they want an OFED like
process that takes the OF code and runs it through a rigorous suite of
regression and performance tests.  The purpose of OFED is to get into
the commercially supported distros (e.g RHEL and SLES).   That is what
the majority of end customers want/need.  That said spinning out
"pre-OFED" releases of each component would help to get the code into
the other distros (FC, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc.) which, of course,
is a very good thing to do.

   Thanks,

	- Matt