[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Tom Tucker tom at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Sep 28 14:40:15 PDT 2006

On 9/28/06 4:25 PM, "Woodruff, Robert J" <robert.j.woodruff at intel.com>
wrote:

> Steve wrote,
>> ok.  topic branches in your git tree or a set of git trees sounds
>> reasonable.    But to facilitate those trying to assemble bits and
>> pieces, we should provide documentation on where they get this stuff.
>> This _might_ help convince those who are hanging on to the svn idea to
>> adopt this new scheme...
>
>> Steve.
>
> Perhaps we need something similar to the concept of an MM tree
> where new, more experimental patches, can be applied and tested
> together before going into Roland's mainline git tree that is queued for
> kernel.org.
>
> Again, some sort of development branch like what we use to have
> with SVN. Does not matter to me if this is git or SVN, but
> a central data base is desirable so that people don't have to
> get things from all over the place.

I think that there is an elephant in this room that everyone seems to be
ignoring -- no one is signed up to select and merge the relevant topic
branches together to create a unified, working "release candidate" and then
posting it in a convenient place for you to pull from.

Unless this developer resource problem is solved, you will be left with a
well defined (but empty) branch to pull from.