[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Sep 28 14:25:35 PDT 2006

Steve wrote,
>ok.  topic branches in your git tree or a set of git trees sounds
>reasonable.    But to facilitate those trying to assemble bits and
>pieces, we should provide documentation on where they get this stuff.
>This _might_ help convince those who are hanging on to the svn idea to
>adopt this new scheme...

>Steve.

Perhaps we need something similar to the concept of an MM tree
where new, more experimental patches, can be applied and tested
together before going into Roland's mainline git tree that is queued for
kernel.org.

Again, some sort of development branch like what we use to have
with SVN. Does not matter to me if this is git or SVN, but
a central data base is desirable so that people don't have to
get things from all over the place.

There are definitely going to be early adopters that want to
try out several of the new things, iWarp, rdma_cm, SDP, etc.
all at once from one code base, so having a way for them to
get versions of all the various components that are still under
development is what is needed.

What I don't want to see is what we have now. Things like iWarp that
are submitted upstream but do not work with some of the latest
development code (in SVN) for the rdma_cm, SDP, etc. In that model,
there is no easy way for someone to get a version of all of the
different pieces that all work together.

woody