[openib-general] 2.6.18 kernel support in the main trunk.

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Fri Sep 29 09:26:41 PDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Sean Hefty wrote:

> Someday soon I hear, OFA will be able to host git repositories, so
> my preference is to delay any svn to git transition until then.  (I
> cannot host git from inside Intel's firewall, nor can I access a git
> repository which isn't hosted at kernel.org.)

Sean's concern brings to mind an important issue. The OFA repository
is a common, neutral area to which we can all contribute. It would be
a shame if we went back to the "dark ages" before OFA were every
vendor had their own slightly different software stack.

Balkanizing the OFA repository into corporate repositories would be a
mistake. It is likely that companies will restrict developers at HCA
vendor X from contributing code to HCA vendor Y's repository.