[ofa-general] Loading Infiniband modules for Xen Guests

Adit Ranadive adit.262 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:47:13 PDT 2007

Hi,

Has anyone tried installing the IB modules in Xen guest domains?
Im using the xen source tree locate here :
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-smartio.hg

I have a Dell Poweredge 1850 server and RHEL 4 installed. Im trying to
load the ib_gmthca module for my xen guest (FC4 install) and it gives
me the following error :

modprobe ib_gmthca
invalid host machine -1
[drivers/infiniband/hw/gmthca/gmthca_main.c:350],<1>Fail to setup hca,
return with EFAULT
FATAL: Error inserting ib_gmthca
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-rc3-xenU/kernel/drivers/infiniband/hw/gmthca/ib_gmthca.ko):
Bad address

The guest domain must be able to detect the IB ports. Is there a way
to do that? Im guessing would still require that the hca driver be
loaded? BTW I can load all the other modules (ib_core, ib_ucm,
ib_uverbs, etc.) in the guest

My xen guest config is as follows :

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-rc3-xenU"
memory = 256
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
disk = [ 'file:/root/osimages/fedora.img,sda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
extra = "4"

Any ideas on how the mthca module is loaded in the guest?

Adit

--
Adit Ranadive
MS CS Candidate