[ofa-general] Re: opensmd init.d script question

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Apr 25 13:54:15 PDT 2007

Hi John,

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 16:05, John Partridge wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> I am working on a new SGI product that will have two separate InfiniBand fabrics.
> Each of these fabrics may have a different topology and could be running one of
> a number of routing engines (i.e. lash or up/dn) the Subnet Management for both
> fabrics will run on one host (leader node). Out of the box OFED-1.2 does
> not have a good way to achieve managing this. Ideally I would like to have the
> flexibility of chkconfig controlling each fabric (i.e., ib0 ib1), but, I have
> found that the insserv mechanism has severe limitations. BTW we are running
> SuSE Sles10.
>
> I just wonder if you had come across this kind of config and if you have any ideas
> about how you see this working. It looks like I need to have more than one opensmd
> (one for each fabric) but that is looking like it will not work either because
> of the insserv limitations.
>
> Any help or advice you have would be appreciated.

One can run 2 OpenSMs on different CA/ports on a single machine. The
main things in doing this is setting them up to use different
directories. This is accomplished via setting OSM_CACHE_DIR. You will
want to configure dump_files_dir and log_file to be different. Also, you
will likely want different subnet_prefix configured in each subnet
(opensm.opts). There may be other configuration files different as well
based on what your requirements are.

Hope this helps.

As to how to do this with opensmd, I'm not sure as I don't work with
that. When you figure this out, it would be useful if you posted the
information. Thanks.

-- Hal