[ofa-general] initial set of "direct" SDP tests in netperf

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Apr 25 14:23:18 PDT 2007

> I guess that until it is resolved I'll just kludge around it with my own
> define.

Soo, I did a bunch of cut and paste in netperf, where I take what
getaddrinfo() returns and replace the ->ai_family with AF_INET_SDP and
set the ->ai_protocol to 0 (a guess since there isn't much in the way of
docs on the subject I could find).

I have implemented the SDP_STREAM, SDP_MAERTS and SDP_RR tests thusfar,
they are enabled via a configure option of --enable-sdp .  You can grab
the bits from the top of trunk of the netperf2 repository at:

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/

I've done some initial, cursory testing with the bits that ship with
RHEL5 IA64 - I seem to have some sort of overlapping problem still even
using the install.sh that purports to remove previous bits - and I've
tried the rpm -e command roland (?) posted a few days ago - it says that
none of those things are installed.  I tried to modprobe ib_sdp (some
additional guesswork) and got symbol version mismatches. Still, even
with OFED 1.2rc2 removed there are ib_mumble modules loaded by RHEL5,
and .ko's in the standard (?) modules place.  So clearly I have some
remaining clueless noob issues wrt proper installation of 1.2 bits :(

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

BTW, speaking of cluelessness - you will probably have an initial make
failure involving netperf_version.h - I've got something still slightly
botched there I've not been able to figure-out just yet (make and
autotools aren't exactly my forte).  You can work around that by cd'ing
to src/ and doing a "make netperf-version.h" and then go back up and to
themake again.

PPS - the only remaining TCP tests of note I could bring-over would be:

TCP_SENDFILE - can one use sendfile() against an SDP socket?
TCP_CRR      - like TCP_RR but includes time to call connect()
TCP_CC       - like TCP_CRR, but without the RR :)

feedback on which of those, if any, would be of interest would be most
welcome.

After that I suppose RDS would be next on the list?  Is that "real" at
this point?  Pointers on programming to it would be welcome.