[ofa-general] Re: [RFC] IB management changes proposal

Philippe Gregoire philippe.gregoire at cea.fr
Thu Apr 26 08:22:22 PDT 2007

Hal Rosenstock a écrit :

>>> I'm not sure about this one. I need to think about this more.
>>>
>> Not sure about the best placement, but surely a predictable name
>> in a world-writeable directory is a security risk?
>>

> Is /var/cache world writeable ? I thought it was just world readable. If
> this were to be done, I would think the opensm directory underneath this
> would be more appropriate but I'm not leaning towards doing this since I
> think the current approach is more flexible and the topology can be
> supplied to all needed commands/scripts.
>
> -- Hal

/var/cache is word readable. But the perl command which generate
/tmp/ibnetdiscover.topology are using ibnetdiscover command
which requires root privilege to work. So you dont need a /var/cache
world writeable directory.
Anyway putting the file in /var/cache does not forbid to make it world
readable.
grego $ ls -ld /var/cache
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 Feb 13 18:00 /var/cache
grego$ /usr/bin/ibnetdiscover -g
ibpanic: [22849] madrpc_init: can't open UMAD port ((null):0):
(Permission denied)
grego$ ibprintswitch.pl -l
Execution of ibnetdiscover failed with errors

Phil