[ofa-general] OpensSM and Multiple Ports

Stanley Sufficool stanleysufficool at roadrunner.com
Sat Aug 4 09:46:34 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 06:55 -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> On 8/3/07, Stanley Sufficool <stanleysufficool at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to get opensm to manage two separate subnets, one per IB port on
> > an Infinihost II PCIe HCA. I can specify PORT=1 and opensmd will start
> > without error. On the second sm management node, I start with PORT=2 in
> > opensm.conf and opensm fails with a timeout error.
>
> Not sure what PORT is but you can start OpenSM on a specific port by
> using the -g (or -guid) option. Something like:
> opensm -g=0x12345678 where 0x12345678 is the port (not node) GUID

There are 2 options for specifying the port in opensm.conf, one is the
port GUID and one is the port number (PORT=1) . OpenSM seems to
correctly derive the port GUID from the port number, however I will try
using the GUID instead.

> > I am using Gentoo Linux with the mlx HCA and MAD, UMAD, etc... built into
> > kernel 2.6.20.
> >
> > My goal is to get ipoib working. IPoIB is being flakey with duplicated
> > ethernet MAC addresses ( MAC: 02:00:00:00:01 & :02 ) . This may be resolved
> > when opensm is working?
>
> IPoIB won't work until the ports are brought up by the SM. Not sure
> about the duplicated MACs. I don't understand this.

Ethernet MAC addresses as shown in Windows ipconfig for the IBoIP
interfaces. They are duplicated because the LIDs are not being
renumbered by the manager.