[ofa-general] [RFC] the never ending search for SA scalability

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Aug 9 11:48:05 PDT 2007

I'd like to propose the following change as a simple solution for handling SA
scalability problems:

Modify the ib_sa module to support an SA LID that's separate from the SM LID.

This concept is supported by the spec through SA redirection; however, I propose
that we also allow the SA LID to be set manually by an administrator.
Additional details are below.

---

The SA LID can be set to a local or remote LID - it doesn't matter to the
kernel.  All SA MADs (PR queries, MC joins, event registration, etc.) would be
sent to that destination for processing.

Initially, I envision a user space library capable of responding to PR queries,
but it could be expanded to respond to other types of requests.  How the library
responds to requests (forwarding them to the SM/SA, using lookup tables, etc.)
is outside the scope of the proposal.