[ofa-general] ethernet an infiniband bonds ?

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:29:57 PDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Selzner, Peter (KRZ) <P.Selzner at krz.de> wrote:

> can enyone describe the right way to build both (ethernet and
> infiniband/ipoib) bonds on an linux machine PLEASE.
> We have problems to realize our wanted architecture with 2 eth-bonds
> (bond0 - eth0,eth2 and bond1 - eth1,eth3) and 1 inf-bond
>
> (ibbond0 - ib0,ib1). Should we make this with the "classic" way over the
> configuration files in /etc/sysconfig/network (SLES 10)
>
> or with the /etc/inifiniabnd/openib.conf file, but is this the right file
> to configure eth-bonds?
> If necessery to publish my configuration files let me known and i will do
> this, but for the first time it would be very helpfull to get
>
> basic information about this stuff.

Hi Peter,

The bonding driver that comes with OFED 1.2 is based on the 2.6.21 upstream
kernel driver. However, we did not ported the somehow deprecated ifenslave
program which is used in SLES10 to configure bonding when you set a network
script for a bond. This means that for "IB bonds" you must not set such
script and use the mechanism in /etc/inifiniabnd/openib.conf and for "Eth
bonds" you must not use openib.conf but rather a standard network script...
Its next in our todo to provide a solution for IB bonds in the standard
framework. I am cc-ing Moni Shoua who is the OFED bonding maintainer, please
approach him and cc the list on any problem you face with the IB bonding
solution.

Or.