[ofa-general] Re: some questions on stale connection handling at the IB CM

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Dec 19 09:57:27 PST 2007

> So in the case of lost DREQ etc, in cm_match_req() we will pass the
> checking for duplicate REQs but fall in the check for stale connections
> and it can happen in endless loop? this seems like a bug to me.

This problem isn't limited to stale connections.  If a client tries to
connect, gets a reject for whatever reason, ignores the reject, then
tries to reconnect with the same parameters, then they've put themselves
into an endless loop.

> Yes, this seems to be able to solve the keep-alive thing in a generic
> fashion for all ULPs using the IB CM, will you be able to look on this
> during the next weeks or so?

This method can be used by apps today.  The only enhancement that I can
see being made is having the CM automatically send the messages at
regular intervals.  But I hesitate to add this to the CM since it
doesn't have knowledge of traffic occurring over the QP, and may
interfere with the app wanted to actually change alternate path information.