[openib-general] bad port physstate

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Feb 15 08:14:34 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:53, yipeeyipeeyipeeyipee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems like I've stumbled into some sort of bug in the port info mad query.
> I have several pc's connected to an IB switch.
> On one of the machines I have an OpenIB installation, and on one pc I
> continuously run a management utility that sweeps the fabric (using
> ibnetdiscover from management/diags/ibnetdiscover/). At one point in time after
> another slow-booting pc boots, ibnetdiscover fails during its fabric sweep and
> the IB_ATTR_PORT_INFO query to the sweeping node's ib port fails returning a
> physstate == 6 (LinkErrorRecovery).
> When I check the /sys/class/infiniband/mthca0/ports/1/state I get "4: ACTIVE".

That's because the initial smpquery (by ibnetdiscover) sees the
LinkErrorRecovery PortPhysicalState, the port then comes up at the
physical level, and then the SM moves it through the port states to
active and when you look again locally (via
sys/class/infiniband/mthca0/ports/1/state), it has been made active and
I would expect an smpquery of portinfo of this or ibnetdiscover would
now show this.

> Is there some known issue with port info mad queries? Could this be somehow
> related to mixed SDR/DDR switch and hcas? Maybe someone here knows how to
> workaround this issue?

Sounds like the way it is suppposed to work to me.

-- Hal