[openib-general] OFA 1.2 tarball creation

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Feb 19 15:24:20 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 14:38 -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:
> >How exactly is various developers' source code pulled together to create
> >the nightly OFA tarballs at www.openfabrics.org/builds (could this be
> >put on the wiki somewhere?)?  I went looking to see if some of Sean's
> >work on RDMA CM had made it into these tarballs, and am not seeing code
> >with the patches I'm looking for.
>
> I do not know how OFED creates their tarballs or manages their source.
>

> >The exact patch I'm after was 'rdma_cm: allow joins to return a unique
> >address'.  I remember seeing this patch on the ofed_1_2 branch in Sean's
> >rdma-dev git repository about two weeks ago, though I don't see the
> >ofed_1_2 branch anymore (the patch does exist on the multicast branch).
> >  Sean, was this patch supposed to make it to the nightly 1.2 tarballs?
>
> Assuming that ~vlad/ofed_1_2.git is the OFED kernel tree, then this patch does
> not appear to be included.  I was asked by OFED to publish an ofed_1_2 branch,
> which I did, but I do not know if it was used in constructing the OFED tree.
> The patch was intended to go into OFED.

The ofed_1_2 tree has the 2.6.20 drivers/modules in drivers/infiniband.
They are, I think, the stock 2.6.20 drivers and modules.  If there are
fixes to any driver post 2.6.20, then patches get created in
kernel_patches/fixes directory.  These are applied as part of the
configuration process when the tree is being built.   Look in there to
see if your change is in the form of a patch file.

So you can't necessarily look at ofed_1_2/drivers/infiniband/core for
the exact code, because it may get modified/patched as part of the
configure done on the kernel tree during build/installation.  Note in
addition to patches from kernel_patches/fixes, there are other patches
applied based on the kernel version (backports).

Also, Sean:  If you have changes that you want in OFED 1.2, you need to
explicitly post patches to vlad and cc the group.  They don't, by
process, go pull your kernel tree to get the latest.  This is different
from the user libs which they pull each time they create a user package.

Vlad/Michael, correct me if I'm wrong here.  This all took me some time
to understand and perhaps documenting this would help folks...

Steve.