[openib-general] DNS changes

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Jan 3 09:34:03 PST 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>> Also note that the name "staging.openfabrics.org" will eventually go
>> away -- at some point after all the new names are in place and the
>> dust has settled.  There will be adequate warning before this occurs
>> (so that you can get new git checkouts, etc.), so consider this an
>> early warning.
>
> I actually like the "staging" name.
> This is kind of synonymous with "preparation", "testing",
> and this fits the fact that code there is under development.
>
> And, its shorter to say "I pushed this to staging" than
> "I pushed this to openfabrics.org".

I think that statement ("I pushed this to staging") only has meaning
if it really is a *staging* repository -- as opposed to, say, a
separate production repository.  Otherwise, the name "staging"
applied in this context is somewhat of a misnomer.

We really intended the DNS name "staging" in the context of the new
server vs. the old server.  Not in terms of git repositories.

FWIW, git.openfabrics.org is shorter than staging.openfabrics.org.

> Can we keep the staging indefinitely, name too?

We can, sure -- but I guess it would be worth clarifying exactly what
it is *for*.  My proposal for the OFA DNS has a specific meaning and
purpose for each name.

--
Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit