[openib-general] InfiniBand Maintainers Summit/BOF at Ottawa Linux Symposium

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Jan 25 14:07:44 PST 2007

Roland wrote,

>Since the kernel summit has been moved to Cambridge, England in
>September this year, I'm unlikely to go to OLS too.

>But I don't think an OLS BOF is really the best venue for an "RDMA
>summit" anyway.  A BOF is too little time to really cover everything,
>and having non-core people there changes the mood -- of course it's
>good to include the hoi polloi most of the time, but I think you're
>really proposing an event for the core developers only.

>I think a summit really needs to be a full day and be invitation only.
>One idea that might work would be to have a summit the day before the
>Sonoma workshop in April.  This could be pretty informal, with no need
>to involve the OFA board or anything cumbersome like that -- just tell
>everyone to show up a day early, and get a small conference room and a
>catered lunch at the hotel (money could probably be scared up to pay
>for that without much trouble).

>Or we could pick another day/location... I'm sure I could get a room &
>food at Cisco's campus any time given a few weeks warning.

> - R.

Good point, perhaps and OLS BOF is not the right place to hold a
maintainer's
summit, I like the idea of perhaps having it adjacent to the Sonoma or
some other
OFA event.

As for OLS, it might however be good to have an InfiniBand BOF anyway
just to present
the current status of OpenFabrics, what is now in the kernel and
present the roadmap of what is coming in the near future and such,
I think the wider Linux community might be interested in such a BOF.
I guess I'd be willing to help pull together the slides for such a BOF
working
with the various maintainers if they were not planning on attending.

Thoughts ?

woody