[ofa-general] minor usability nit with 1.2GA?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Jul 9 17:02:02 PDT 2007

So I was blythly running my netperf tests after resolving the problem
with the existence of irqbalance.  I finished my TCP tests and was about
to run the SDP tests.  I'd not modprobe'd the ib_sdp module, so my
netperf tests died.  I then did the modprobe and it complained about
symbol versions.

Turns-out - or at least it seems that way - that my selection of just
"basic" software didn't include SDP.  That's fine I suppose, but what
happened then was I was left with a system with a hybrid of the previous
OFED whatever bits (probably an RC for 1.2) and OFED GA bits.

Perhaps this is simply "caveat emptor" but shouldn't there be some sort
of warning/check that in only doing the partial install there would be
some incompatible modules left laying around?  Or should I just do the
"give me everything" option, shut-up and benchmark?-)

rick jones