[ofa-general] minor usability nit with 1.2GA?

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 10 04:51:40 PDT 2007

Rick Jones wrote:
> So I was blythly running my netperf tests after resolving the problem
> with the existence of irqbalance.  I finished my TCP tests and was about
> to run the SDP tests.  I'd not modprobe'd the ib_sdp module, so my
> netperf tests died.  I then did the modprobe and it complained about
> symbol versions.
>
> Turns-out - or at least it seems that way - that my selection of just
> "basic" software didn't include SDP.  That's fine I suppose, but what
> happened then was I was left with a system with a hybrid of the previous
> OFED whatever bits (probably an RC for 1.2) and OFED GA bits.
>
> Perhaps this is simply "caveat emptor" but shouldn't there be some sort
> of warning/check that in only doing the partial install there would be
> some incompatible modules left laying around?  Or should I just do the
> "give me everything" option, shut-up and benchmark?-)

Hi,
OFED removes the previous software before installing the new one.
So, there shouldn't be a mix of different OFED versions on the same machine.

Can you send me the output of the following commands:
# modinfo ib_sdp
# rpm -qf /lib/modules/.../ib_sdp.ko (take the correct path from the
previous command)
# rpm -q kernel-ib
# ofed_info

Thanks,