[ofa-general] uDAPL Question

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Fri Jul 13 14:10:33 PDT 2007

> >But you hit the nail on the head in terms of needing to correlate
> >devices as reported by "ifconfig" and the Interface Adapter that you
> >try to open.
> >

> Which brings us back to one of my original questions which
> was "is there a way to get the entire dat.conf entry from the
> uDAPL API". And what I am hearing is no, not yet anyway.
>
> Just to take this one more step, and talking about the ofed
> dat.conf example now.
> Example:
>     OpenIB-cma u1.2 nonthreadsafe default
> /usr/local/lib64/libdaplcma.so
> dapl.1.2 "ib0 0" ""
>
> Since I can get the first field, in this example
> "OpenIB-cma", from the ia name attribute of the uDAPL API was
> the data in the 6th field, example "ib0 0" considered for the
> first entry?  Or does that just not make sense?

dat_registry_list_providers will give you a list of all registered
providers. If you open and query them you can have all of the info
you require. If you want more info without opening it, I suppose you
could read dat.conf, but I'd stronly suggest figuring out a way to
use the existing code and take advantage of the existing data
structures.

Any host platform, such as openfabrics, could adopt a naming convention
that tied the DAT Provider IA Name directly to the underlying device
name(s).
DAT, being OS independent, could not mandate any such pattern. But a
specific
OS certainly could, and openfabrics is definitely the place to make such

conventions for Linux.

Without such a convention the only way to cross-correlate the DAT IA
name
with the underlying transport device is by matching their IP addresses.