[ofa-general] QoS RFC

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Jul 27 09:44:35 PDT 2007

>> SDP uses CMA for building its connections.
>> The Service-ID for SDP is 0x000000000001PPPP, where PPPP are 4 hex digits
>> holding the remote TCP/IP Port Number to connect to.
>> SDP might be provided with SO_PRIORITY socket option. In that case the
>> value
>> provided should be sent to the CMA as the TClass option of that
>> connection.
>>
> This requires modifications a applications and does not allow a global
> definition of Qos for all SDP  applications into the fabric.
> This is inconsistent with Libsdp provided to migrate transparently
> TCP/IP application to SDP.
> If the maching rules allows some kind of bitmask pattern matching, we
> can define something like :
> qos-match-rule
>            use: all SDP applications
>            service-id: 0x000000000001????
>            qos-level-sn: 2
>        end-qos-match-rule

Please see my response from yesterday.  I believe we can eliminate the
use of the service ID for SDP, and instead rely on the IPv6 address or
socket options.

My suggestions for the host stack restrict the use of the service ID to
SRP.  If SRP were to provide a QoS parameter instead, we could avoid any
use of service ID in our implementation.  However, I don't know the
scope required to support that change.