[ofa-general] Re: OFED-1.2 on x86 debian

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Jul 30 02:10:20 PDT 2007

Quoting Michael S. Tsirkin <mst at dev.mellanox.co.il>:
Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: OFED-1.2 on x86 debian

> Quoting Naim Hammond <naim.hammond at gmail.com>:
> Subject: Re: [ofa-general] Re: OFED-1.2 on x86 debian
>
> On 7/29/07, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst at dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote:
>
>     > Quoting Naim Hammond <naim.hammond at gmail.com>:
>     > You did mention it is tested on Ubuntu, but you weren't sure. is it?
>
>     Note that support in this context means whether OFED was tested on the
>     distro, not whether it builds/works.
>

> I'm sorry that I don't understand your answer.
> What exactly do you mean "OFED was tested" if it does not build, nor works, on
> this or that distribution?
>
> Please explain.

The reason some things in OFED might not work on a given distro is because,
no one volunteered to test this distro.

However:

- Maintainers for some packages use distros outside the list of
  supported platforms. These will build and work,
  but no one compiled a specific list - one'll have to ask
  around, and OFED packaging might not work so one might need
  to install packages individially.

- We do care about portability.
  If someone is interested enough to test things out on a given distro,
  and report issues, and work with maintainers on fixing things,
  you will find that people will be happy to help.

Hope this helps,

--
MST