[ofa-general] osm_node_get_physp_ptr, port numbers

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Jun 1 04:00:41 PDT 2007

Hi Frank,

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 03:34, Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just starting to get my bearings in the opensm code, and there's one
> thing I have not been able to figure out yet.  What is the relationship
> between the port number parameter given to osm_node_get_physp_ptr and
> the actual port number of the switch?  Can I assume that sending for
> instance the port number 6 to osm_node_get_physp_ptr will give me the
> ports I see as number 6 from without the switch?
>
> Any clarifications are greatly appreciated.

The port numbers are relative to the individual switch chips as each
switch chip is a separate IB switch node.

If you have a switch box with a single switch chip (generally 24 or 8
port switches), then the mapping is 1:1 between the two.

This is not the case with chassis based switches which have numerous
switch chips on separate board where some ports go external and others
are internal. There is a grouping function in ibnetdiscover which shows
the external ports for the some chassis based switches but this mapping
is not yet supported in OpenSM.

What switch(es) are you using ?