[ofa-general] Re: Re: Is ibv_get_async_event() a blocking call ?

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Mar 19 14:16:48 PDT 2007

    Changqing> Can you have more details how you do it and how APIs
    Changqing> are changed ?  Thanks.

I don't think there's any real plan to change the API.

    Changqing> We just want ibv_get_async_event() to be a non-blocking
    Changqing> call, you told me to set the file descriptor to
    Changqing> non-blocking to make this function non-blocking. But if
    Changqing> you can set it by default, that would be best, because
    Changqing> everyone can accept this change.

    Changqing> Also can we make the same change to ibv_get_cq_event()
    Changqing> ?  I hope all functions in IB are non-blocking.

I don't see a good reason to change the current behavior here.  I
think it's less surprising for file descriptors to be blocking by
default.  And if you really want them to be nonblocking, it just takes
one call to fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK) (which is what the library
would have to do anyway).

 - R.