[ofa-general] [RFC] host stack IB-to-IB router support

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Wed Mar 21 10:33:17 PDT 2007

Hal, the fact that we have bits saying something is global vs. local
Doesn't mean the control plain for that needs to be in the SM/SA
Not to mention that with OpenFabric fabric independent model ServiceIDs
are now 16bits and map to TCP like ports

We want to have the SM/SA be the monitoring/configuration tool for a
specific subnet and not grant it with more authorities than it should
Some IB mechanisms are too centralized already, we don't want to carry
that legacy into an inter-subnet framework unless we have to.

If there are holes in the spec that inhibit us from doing it in the
right way (like in IP routing), we should identify them and drive them
quickly via IBTA, after all IB usage model may have changed a bit since
the draft was written few years ago.

Ok, lets assume Sean would finish his experiments with remote_sa, how
would that find its way into the commercial sm/sa versions that are
mostly used, how would we guarantee interoperability between all
implementations, .. ?
How would that address future routing, security, QoS, .. enhancements ?
can it ?

Yaron