[ofa-general] [RFC] host stack IB-to-IB router support

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Mar 21 10:51:07 PDT 2007

> Ok, lets assume Sean would finish his experiments with remote_sa, how
> would that find its way into the commercial sm/sa versions that are
> mostly used, how would we guarantee interoperability between all
> implementations, .. ?
> How would that address future routing, security, QoS, .. enhancements ?
> can it ?

The 'remote sa' as simply a proprietary UD protocol.  Whatever data two 'remote
sa' services exchange shouldn't matter, nor should the fact that each issues
local SA path records.  There's nothing magical about this.

If I have an app that can query its local SA, there's nothing that prevents that
app from sending that data to whatever peer it can connect to.  It can even send
the data over TCP if it wants.  Keeping the SA subnet local doesn't add any real
security.

Coming up with a solution that doesn't work with any existing hardware, targets,
and SAs isn't very useful.