[ofa-general] ppc64 and ofa user code

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Fri Mar 30 06:10:30 PDT 2007

Hey all,

I'm testing on ppc64 platforms and I ran into this issue.

I'm building and installing using the ofa tarballs (not the ofed
tarball).  So I typically just untar them, run ./configure with the
appropriate components enabled, then do 'make && make install'.  On
these ppc64 systems, the userspace got built as 32b instead of 64b.  I
had to add -m64 to the CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS in the configure script to
force 64b compiles.  So I guess the gcc on this distro/platform defaults
to 32b?  Its a SLES distro I think.

Is there a more proper way to tell the configure script to build 64b?

Does the build.sh and ofed package handle this in some certain way?  I
know it builds both 32b and 64b stuff, so perhaps I'm just misusing
things by manually configuring the userspace tree?

Thanks,

Steve.