[ofa-general] Re: [IPoIB][RFC] remove redundant gid query

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Mon May 21 11:50:32 PDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Roland Dreier wrote:

>  > Both ipoib_add_port() and ipoib_mcast_join_task() query the GID at
>  > index 0 to setup the ipoib_dev_priv structure's local_gid and the
>  > net_device structure's dev_addr. There does not appear to be a way for
>  > ipoib_mcast_join_task() to be executed before ipoib_add_port()
>  > completes. Therefore, the work done in ipoib_mcast_join_task() appears
>  > to be redundant.
>
> It does look like we're doing some work we don't need to do.  However
> ipoib_add_port() could run before an SM has brought up the local port,

The same could be true for ipoib_mcast_join_task()

These are both instances of the general problem that if the GID at
index 0 changes, the IPoIB code is not automatically notified. Agree?

> so the GID prefix might change later.
>
> I'm not sure what the best way to clean this up is.

As an aside: Why does ipoib_add_port() treat an error return from
ib_query_gid() as fatal while ipoib_mcast_join_task() only emits a
warning?

james