[ofa-general] Re: MTHCA driver from OFED 1.3a package

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Sat Nov 24 13:47:07 PST 2007

 > is the mentioned driver suppose to work under Xen in Dom0 which is basically
 > same as real HW? Ofed 1.2 driver works. Ofed 1.3a does not.

I don't think OFED "supports" Xen, but it should work, and I would
like to try to have at least the upstream kernel's mthca and other IB
drivers work under Xen.  I'm not sure what code is in OFED 1.3a
exactly, but I don't see too many recent changes to mthca that look
like they could cause your issue:

 > ib_mthca 0000:08:00.0: NOP command failed to generate interrupt (IRQ 16), aborting.
 > ib_mthca 0000:08:00.0: BIOS or ACPI interrupt routing problem?
 > ib_mthca: probe of 0000:08:00.0 failed with error -16

Maybe the patch to try to enable MSI-X by default (which went in after
2.6.23 I think) is causing problems, although it looks like you are
not on the MSI-X path.  (Or were there other mthca messages too?)

What kernel are you running in dom0?  Is the change from OFED 1.2 to
1.3a the only difference between the working and non-working cases, or
did you change anything else in your setup?

 - R.