[ofa-general] ConnectX problems on Sles10sp1

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Oct 19 08:31:07 PDT 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Roland Dreier wrote:
> But in the end I'm pretty sure you're just going to get a message from
> the driver confirming that the installed firmware has an unsupported
> command interface version.

Yes, we got the following with 2.0.150 (no special debug etc.):
mlx4_core 0000:17:00.0: Installed FW has unsupported command interface
revision 1.
kernel: mlx4_core 0000:17:00.0: (Installed FW version is 2.0.150)

>  > The other vexing issue really is that I need the device to be
>  > available (if recollect I need the PSID for example to download the
>  > firmware for the correct adapter) to update the firmware, at least
>  > if I were to use mstflint. Any ways around that?
>
> I'm sure you can use mstflint without the driver loaded by specifying
> the PCI bus/device number,

Yes, we just had to do something similar, "mstflint -d xx:yy.z q" will give
you the PSID etc.

We also had to fiddle some pci registers to get through to the "fw handicaped"
HCA but I have no idea if that will be needed for all HCAs with such old fw.

/Peter